Friday, October 31, 2008

Declaration of Independence

Back in August we went to the State Capitol to see one of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence. We went early and got in line. Then they had a little press event which we couldn't hear because of the echo in the rotunda.


After the press got their look they moved it to the center of the Rotunda so that those of us standing in line could have a turn to see it. They had a few posters around with trivia on them. One of the things I did hear from the press conference was the parchment version of the Declaration wasn't made until a couple of weeks after July 4th. Copies like this one were printed on the 4th in Benjamin Franklin's priniting shop and then sent to King George, General Washington and the troops, and others.



This is our turn to have our picture taken C was down at Boondocks with Grandma and Grandpa
I think they said this copy was the one that was found in the back of a framed picture that someone bought at a fleamarket so they could use the frame a few years ago.
Afterwards we got to speak with Jed Boal from KSL news and was on t.v. that night. Let me see if I can get a link to work. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=4021344
Then we went on a tour of the Capitol to complete a merit badge requirement for G.

1 comments:

Charity said...

Looks like fun! I wish I could have gone too.