Thursday, December 18, 2008

C's First Ski Trip

Tuesday C's class went an a fieldtrip skiing. This was his first time and he was nervous. We got all the necesary gear i.e. new snow bibs, new gloves, new long underwear, new hat. He had outgrown all his stuff from last year. We were asked for a $20 donation for the trip so $70 later he was ready to go. I found out at the last minute that I could go with him so my friend took D and I ran home to grab my gear and head up. I'm glad I did. He was ready to quit before He even went up the hill. He has very tight achilles tendons so the ski boots were stretching them and it was uncomfortable. I convinced him to go up on the ski lift and we were on our way. At the top the kids in front of us fell and the lift did not stop in time so we went off on top of them. Carter fell and had a hard time getting up. We, the ski instrutor and I, got him up and over to where the kids in his group were waiting. I left and went down the hill and came back around and he didn't want to ski anymore because he had fallen again I helped him up with the assistance of another ski instructor. I left him with her and she taught him how to snowplow and helped him down the rest of the hill. When I came around again he was out of his skis ready to pack it in but I made him hike up to a pole on the hill and come down one more time.

After that he was done. Here he is taking his equipment back to the ski school.

He was more interested in eating his lunch.

Here's a picture of the Lodge and the hill.
The only part he liked was the ski lift before he fell at the top. We'll have to try again or made snowboarding will be for him since the boots don't stretch the achilles tendon as much.

3 comments:

Charity said...

My first time skiing wasn't so great either. 2nd time was much better.

Summer said...

Carter and I have something in common. I did the same exact thing except my date knocked me down at the top. I've never been back and have no desire. At least he got lunch out of the deal.

nixon5 said...

Way to go for trying it. Looks fun and cold.