Monday, November 2, 2009

C's Volcano

On the day of D's field trip I was riding back to the school with a group Mom's and my friend asked me if I was staying to watch the Volcanoes erupt.(her daughter is in C's class) I told her I had no idea what she was talking about and she told me that the entire 5th grade made volcanoes and they were going to make them erupt at 1 o'clock. Needless to say I was a little mad and a little frustrated as I walked to C's classroom to ask him and his teacher about this assignment. I found out that he'd had a month to make the volcano, he could have done it with a partner, and they had postponed the activity because it had rained the day before, so he could've come home and said I need a volcano for tomorrow and we might've been able to turn it in on time. So I went home and started looking up how to make a volcano online and then posted on facebook a plea for a quick volcano recipe. Luckily my friend Jennifer had one and then I had to decide how I was going to give C a consequence for not telling me about a major project. The quick drying salt dough recipe my friend gave me called for alum, which I did not have and parchment paper to place the dough on to bake it dry, which was another thing I did not have. So I went up to C's bedroom, found his wallet, and when to the school to pick everyone up. When he got in the van I informed him that we were going to the store and he was going to have to buy the items I didn't have out of his own money. He was not very happy about it but I told him since he chose not to tell me about the project and we didn't have time to wait for regular salt dough to dry he had to buy the items we needed so his assignment would get done. I cost him almost 2 weeks worth of allowance. Yes I'm a charter member of the MMA (Mean Mom's Association). I hope he never does this again.

Here' s the volcano the inside oozed out the bottom.
Painting it.
And erupting it.


C's teacher had us do the eruption at home and just send him the pictures. I didn't want him to get special attention in class while everyone watched him erupt his volcano. I hope he never does this again but then he didn't tell me he needed a mystery book for his book report due Nov 2nd. Luckily after this incident his teacher asked him in front of me so I knew. School is so much harder the second, and third time around. So far E hasn't given me this kind of stress. I need to knock on wood before I finish posting this.

1 comments:

Charity said...

Cool volcano. I just want to say one more time that I detest home projects. They make life miserable for everyone involved. If the teacher wants to do the project, they should do it at school. OK, I'm done now. :)